DA Workshop: Applying Design Thinking to creating Māori Graphic Design, 19th September, Hamilton
Design Assembly welcomes back Johnson McKay from Fly to present this half-day Hamilton workshop at Wintec’s Marae focussing on Māori Graphic Design.
Applying Design Thinking to creating Māori Graphic Design
Tuesday 19th September
Te Kōpu Mānia o Kirikiriroa
$350 Professional / $250 Design Assembly Friend / $150 Design Assembly Student Friend
(Not a DA Friend? Details on how to sign up can be found here).
Book your tickets by clicking here.
As New Zealanders, we grow up with tikis and taniwhas, pukanas and chur bros, but not many of us know or understand the meanings behind these familiar icons of Kiwi-ness. The Māori culture and its rich visual narratives inspire our architecture, movies, products, brands and businesses, both at home and on the global stage. It also drives a growing market of products and services by Māori who wish to speak with their own authentic voice. This expanding inclusion of Māori cultural concepts in the mainstream will only accelerate as the world seeks increased diversity and authenticity.
As creatives, we work comfortably within a European concept of design thinking, language and modes of expression, but we sometimes feel nervous about how best to engage with Te Ao Maori — the Māori world. In this workshop, we will explore:
- Why it is essential for the New Zealand creative community to have an understanding of Te Ao Māori.
- How we can get over the fear of incorporating Māori art and concepts into our creative work.
- How we can celebrate and express Māori concepts and art without the risk of cultural appropriation.
- Key considerations when incorporating Māori concepts into your work.
- Learnings from work being produced by Māori and non-Māori design studios and creatives around Aotearoa.
Led by Johnson McKay – Ngāti Kahungunu, Ngāti Porou, Ngāti Mahuta, Ngāti Scotland.
If you cancel your ticket more than 8 days ahead of the workshop, 100% of your ticket will be refunded. Within 7 days of the workshop, 50% of the ticket price will be refunded or you can transfer your ticket to another Design Assembly workshop within a year.