May 12, 2023 @ 9:00 am - 3:30 pm
A deep dive into the art of writing and presenting, to help you support your design work.
In the first half of the day, we’ll step above the nuts and bolts of grammar and spelling and look at what makes good writing good, so you can develop your confidence with the written word. In the second half, we’ll look at how to present the story of your work in a compelling way and equip your client with reasons to say yes, so you can do more of the work you want to do.
Designers who want to develop the written language and presentation skills to support their talents with visual language. Anyone working in design who wants to improve their ability to communicate ideas through words, and brush up on their presentation skills.
Writing for Designers
– What makes good writing good
– Writing before the work – how to establish tone and style
– Writing in the work
– crafting good copy
– Writing around the work
– how to pitch your work persuasively
– Writing about the work
– how to reflect on the work for awards and PR
Presenting for Designers
– Ways to structure a presentation
– How to make the best use of the client’s time
– How to strike a balance between emotion and reason
– How to manage tricky questions
– How to project confidence
– What to do with disruptive personalities
Your interest, enthusiasm and your burning writing questions. If you can, think of one positive and one negative writing and/or presentation experience to share.
Our DA Friends receive savings of $200 per ticket. Join as a DA Friend here.
– Non-DA Friend, $650+gst
– DA Friend, $450+gst
– DA Student Friend, $100+gst
Mark Easterbrook is a freelance copywriter and creative director with 20 years experience in the communications and creative industries. He has written and presented everything from hardcore retail advertising to poetic brand films to culturally sensitive government communications. He has an MA in Film, TV & Media Studies and has been a radio host, copywriter, bouncer, gravedigger, gas station attendant, charity board member and Programme Director of the Going West Writers Festival.