UX Crash Course: Auckland 10th March
UX Crash Course: A hands on introduction to user experience design
Friday 10 March
Whitespace Shared Space
3 Glenside Crescent
6 hours | 9:30am – 4:30pm
This course gives you hands-on experience of a digital UX design project from start to finish in an intense one day workshop. On this course you take a project through a complete design life cycle from initial research, to ideation, to design, to user testing. As well as gaining practical experience of some of the most common user experience design methods, as you work through the project you learn the principles behind them so you can make good decisions about what approach and methods will get you the best outcomes for your own projects. The goal of the day is for you to be able to take what you learn and apply it immediately to your current projects, and also use what you learn as a base for further study.
Who is it for?
No prior knowledge is required to do this course, it is suitable for absolute beginners. However the course is primarily aimed at:
- Digital designers – web, interaction and UX designers who want to build on their UX skills, put into practice approaches they have read about, adopt a user centered design approach or better their understanding of the principles behind common UX design methods.
- Graphic designers – traditional designers who want to transition into digital design or learn how to work better with their UX colleagues.
- Strategists and analysts – senior practitioners who want to gain an understanding of the principles of user experience design and experience how those principles are practiced on the ground.
- Developers – developers who want to build on their UX skills or learn how to work better with their UX colleagues.
- Product owners and project managers – product owners and project managers who want a better understanding of how a user experience design approach can get them better outcomes on their products and projects.
On the day:
You will take a UX project from research to testing
You are put in a team and work on a digital design project throughout the day learning and applying user centered design methods as you go. No coding is required and most teams elect to design their project on paper in order to keep the focus on design decisions not implementation.
You will learn the basic principles and definitions behind user experience design
You will learn the basic principles of user experience design including its history and common terminology used.
You will get an introduction to basic principles and best practice for user research
You learn how to identify if research is required, what kind is required, and the basics of designing research to get valid outcomes. You experience implementing a common research method and learn how to synthesise and interpret user research results.
You will get an introduction to basic principles and best practice for interaction design
You learn the basic principles behind making good interaction and UI design decisions and experience putting those principles into practice.
You will get an introduction to basic principles and best practice for user testing
You learn what you can and can’t user test, how to design user tests that are likely to get you valid results and experience designing and facilitating user tests for you project.
There are no prerequisites for this course, no previous experience with design or coding is required.
What you need to bring
All materials are provided.