Take 10 with… Laura Cibilich
The DA team want to support our community through these unprecedented times – something we kept coming back to is a focus on connection and community. So we want to do what we think DA does best, sharing ideas, inspiration and information and profiling our community.
With that in mind, we launched a new series Take 10 with… to do a pulse check on how you’re feeling, how you’re working, what you are missing, and what your hopes are for the future. We invited some of our friends, peers and the DA team to participate and we hope you enjoy these honest and candid profiles of Aotearoa designers today.
Introduce yourself: Laura Cibilich, Founder and Design Director of RUN – a design and advertising agency in Tāmaki Makaurau.
How did you get into design? I loved art and design at high school, took a year off to save and decide that was exactly what I wanted to do, then did an intense diploma at Media Design School and went from there.
What do you love about design? It’s ability to be able to communicate visually. Design can be powerful and moving and I love using creativity to solve problems.
What or who inspires you? I’m inspired by anything and everything – you just have to look at things differently. I’m also a huge fan of Michael Bierut. I was lucky enough to have a one-on-one interview with him when he came to NZ a few years ago, he’s an amazing designer and a super nice guy. There are a heap of other amazing designers from around the world too, but too many to list, although I don’t like to look at all that stuff too much, otherwise I think it taints your own work and everything becomes a bit same-same. And Oprah is another definite inspiration!
How are you feeling right now? Optimistic and lucky. Grateful we live in NZ and I think the design industry is possibly a little stronger than some others right now. In the long term we’ll all get through this together.
Are you working right now, if so what does your work from home day look like? Yes. We’re a small and agile team, used to working remotely and with kids around too (‘family friendly’ is one of our core values), so it’s business as usual for RUN.
What’s your one tip right now? For businesses – use this time to plan and get systems in place for the future. For designers – time to get creative!
Tell us about your current workspace. We’re all set up to work from home, so I have my stand up adjustable desk and everything else I need.
Which local business are you going to miss most during our isolation period?
- Little Algiers – Jamel’s been around for many years and makes delicious food, I hope he’s around for many more https://www.facebook.com/littlealgierscafe/
- Little Bird Kitchen – I’m a vegetarian and love their food https://www.facebook.com/littlebirdkitchennz/
- Endemic World – great art prints and a small creative business we enjoy supporting https://www.facebook.com/endemicworld/
- Monster Valley – another small creative business we’ve collaborated with before, they just launched their new art gallery space 5 weeks ago, so I look forward to visiting it again soon https://www.facebook.com/monstervalley.co.nz/
- Jump – also a client, but we love going with the kids there to try and wear them out https://www.facebook.com/Jumpoline/
What do you hope for the Aotearoa design community going forward? That we can continue to support each other as much as possible and that we come back better and stronger than ever. Together we can get through this. Kia kaha.