DA Workshop: Applying Design Thinking to creating Māori Graphic Design, 19 May 2017, Auckland
May 19, 2017 @ 9:00 am - 12:30 pm
Design Assembly welcomes back Johnson McKay from Fly to present this half-day Auckland workshop focussing on Maori Graphic Design.
Applying Design Thinking to creating Māori Graphic Design
Friday 19th May
Studio One Toi Tu, Auckland
$350 Professional / $250 Design Assembly Friend (Not a DA Friend? Click here for details on how to sign up).
$150 DA Student Friend (Not a DA Student Friend? Click here for details on how to sign up).
Refreshments from Atomic Coffee and Serious Popcorn. Thanks Guys!
As New Zealanders, we grow up with tikis and taniwhas, pukanas and chur bros, but not many of us know or understand the meanings behind these familiar icons of Kiwi-ness. The Māori culture and its rich visual narratives inspire our architecture, movies, products, brands and businesses, both at home and on the global stage. It also drives a growing market of products and services by Māori who wish to speak with their own authentic voice. This expanding inclusion of Māori cultural concepts in the mainstream will only accelerate as the world seeks increased diversity and authenticity.
As creatives, we work comfortably within a European concept of design thinking, language and modes of expression, but we sometimes feel nervous about how best to engage with Te Ao Maori — the Maori world. In this workshop, we will explore:
- Why it is essential for the New Zealand creative community to have an understanding of Te Ao Māori.
- How we can get over the fear of incorporating Māori art and concepts into our creative work.
- How we can celebrate and express Māori concepts and art without the risk of cultural appropriation.
- Key considerations when incorporating Māori concepts into your work.
- Learnings from work being produced by Māori and non-Māori design studios and creatives around Aotearoa.
Led by Johnson McKay – Ngāti Kahungunu, Ngāti Porou, Ngāti Mahuta, Ngāti Scotland.
Date: May 19, 2017
Time: 9:00 am - 12:30 pm
Event Category: Workshops
Studio One Toi Tu
1 Ponsonby Road
Auckland, 1011 New Zealand
+ Google Map