Get hands-on experience of a human-centred approach to UX design in this intensive one-day course. This course gives you a solid grounding in the principles and theories behind a modern, user-centred design process and practical experience taking a UX project from initial research to design to usability testing.
This packed course takes you through the full life cycle of a human-centred approach to user experience design. It is suitable for both absolute beginners and experienced designers looking to upskill with human-centred or user experience design techniques. You learn the principles and methods that shape modern user experience design, then put them into practice, taking a project through a full design life cycle. This course is process focused, not tool focused, so you don’t need a computer or any experience in design software.
The course covers:
- Terminology and UX basic principles
- Basic principles of design research
- Designing and running a research project
- Bridging – Making the transition from research findings to design concepts
- Basic principles of effective information architecture and user interface design
- Designing a digital product or service
- Basic principles of usability testing
- Designing and running a usability test
During the course you will:
- Design and conduct interviews with users and customers
- Analyse and unpack the results of your interviews to identify design opportunities and challenges
- Create a design to respond to the opportunities or challenges you identified
- Run a usability test to validate your proposed design
On completing the course you will:
- Have a firm grasp on the principles behind user experience design to use as a base for further study
- Be able to identify if a project needs research
- Be able to design and conduct semi-structured user/customer interviews
- Have a solid grounding in basic information architecture and user interface design principles
- Be able to design and run basic usability tests
In addition you receive:
- A certificate of completion if you attend the whole course and complete all the practical and theory portions of the course.
- Access to full online notes for the course and access to our community Slack channel to tap into the expertise and experience of our course alumni and facilitators.
What do you need?
All materials are provided. This course is process focused, not tool focused, so you don’t need to bring a laptop or other device, although you are welcome to do so if you wish. All you need to bring is your attention and enthusiasm!
On the day
We start at 9:00am and wrap up at 4:30pm with an hour for lunch at 12:30pm. Lunch is not provided, but we do provide coffee and healthy snacks.
Who is it for?
All are welcome and no prior knowledge is required to do this course. However, the course is primarily aimed at:
- Digital designers
Web, interaction, and UX designers who want to build on their UX skills, put into practice approaches they have read about, adopt a user-centred design approach, or better their understanding of the principles behind common UX design methods.
- Graphic designers and design graduates
Traditional designers who want to transition into digital design or learn how to work better with their UX colleagues.
- Strategists and analysts
Senior practitioners who want to gain an understanding of the principles of user experience design and experience how those principles are practised on the ground.
Developers who want to build on their UX skills or learn how to work better with their UX colleagues.
- Product owners and project managers
Product owners and project managers who want a better understanding of how a user experience design approach can get them better outcomes on their products and projects.
- People exploring career transition
People from other professional backgrounds who want to explore transitioning into human-centred or user experience design.
CLICK HERE TO REGISTER
Note: DA Friends are eligible to register at the Unwaged Rate
This event is independently organised and operated by UX Gym. For any queries, please contact them directly.