How are you doing Aotearoa NZ?
We’re into the thick of it now, all-things-lockdown are go, and we’re all starting to feel the effects of it. But we’re also starting to see the benefits now – our case numbers are getting lower, we’re getting into routines, and some changes in levels are starting to happen. We can see the effects of our sacrifices and we’re starting to be able to see the end in sight.
However, as they’re all saying, now is not the time to get complacent. Now is the time to double down and keep going strong – kia kaha Aotearoa NZ, we’ve got this!
We’re working hard to keep the content coming and help to inspire and educate you over the next few weeks. We’ve got a few more online events in the works and plenty of inspiration coming your way. We’re here if you need a distraction, or if you need to talk (if you are a DA Friend, email firstname.lastname@example.org
And we’re working hard to gather resources, activities and other things that might help you get through this time. This time, we’ve mixed in entertainment for yourselves and for the little ones:
- Never Not Creative – The Never Not Creative podcast is hosted by Andy Wright and Sarah Nguyen. We interview creatives, mental health experts and consultants to share advice stories and conversations linked to our goals as a community.
- Armchaired & Dangerous – Armchair Expert and David Farrier team up for a monthly podcast that seeks to explore the dark, fascinating and often comical world of conspiracy theories. In addition to delving into the theories themselves, we will touch on the psychology, history and the profound “why” behind these concepts. This podcast attempts to discern truth during a time when the truth is increasingly gray. It is informative, spine-chilling, fascinating but mostly…fun!
- No such thing as a fish– A weekly podcast about interesting facts presented by the researchers of the British panel game QI. Each week they discuss a favourite fact that they’ve come across that week; it’s insightful and hilarious – a very entertaining way of learning some (mostly useless) facts with some wonderful belly laughs along the way!
- Random Ship – Random Ship the podcast is your weekly voyage into all things random. We deep dive for the weirdest, wildest, and most random topics we can find. Once we start recording there’s no telling where we’ll end up. Four out of Five Sailors recommend it! Every Wednesday we cover topics ranging from pop culture to sports, puppies to pickles and all things in between.
- PŪKAUAE – Stories are medicine. This space offers the most simple tool for hauora – stories, through collaboration to challenge the narrative, decolonize & normalize the view of Moko Kauae & Moko Kanohi to modern society. E oho, kua tae te wa.
- Unravel Season 4 | Snowball – Kiwi-born Ollie Wards chronicles how his brother’s whirlwind romance with a charismatic Californian con woman ultimately cost his family more than a million dollars. With kooky plot twists to rival a Hollywood movie, the seven-episode series follows Ollie from sleepy suburban New Zealand on an international investigation spanning Hawaii, the UK and the US. T
- Untold – Untold is a five-part docuseries which looks at remarkable stories from the world of sport, from tennis and boxing to basketball.
- Follow This – Follow the reporters at BuzzFeed as they probe topics ranging from quirky internet crazes to safe injection spaces for opioid users.
- Explained – This enlightening series from Vox digs into a wide range of topics such as the rise of cryptocurrency, why diets fail, and the wild world of K-pop.
- Bob Ross: Happy Accidents, Betrayal & Greed – Bob Ross brought joy to millions as the world’s most famous art instructor. But a battle for his business empire cast a shadow over his happy trees (shows the power of IP and contracts!)
- Sponge On The Run – Great even for adults!
- Happy Birthday – For those kiddie lockdown birthdays
- CreativeMornings/NewYork: The Mothers of Design ft. Paula Scher, Gail Anderson, and Rebeca Méndez – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtmYMJeUYeM
- The Futur: Building a Brand, A Design Documentary – https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzKJi2GjpkEFsV13D3WPm5s6tZVkvKJ1-
- Abstract: The Art of Design (Season 1) – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_k8fVNzbGU&list=PLuctemCzX-m4svPpBctWUp0oG__Lhglq9
- Design Interview 1Q started as soon as the lockdown began. The format of the interviews is a simple video-interview, made by Skype, where the interviewees have to answer 10 questions about themselves and the design world. – https://www.youtube.com/c/DesignInterview1Q/videos
- Documentary – Bauhaus 100 – 100 Years of Bauhaus / Walter Gropius – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2a45UBCIbJc
- Design of the olympics – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWyYGo5-Kho and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2BaNH8GWgY
- Color In Sight: A documentary on the details of color – http://paletteforyourpalate.com/documentary
- IMDb users hilariously review ‘must-watch’ season 3 of COVID-19 1pm Daily Update – https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/entertainment/2021/08/imdb-users-hilariously-review-must-watch-season-3-of-covid-19-1pm-daily-update.html
- AIGA talks: One designer, one work – https://www.aiga.org/inspiration/talks?f%5B0%5D=collection%3A2021%20One%20Designer%2C%20One%20Work
- The Design Conference talks – https://vimeo.com/thedesignconference
- Typographics type design festival talks – https://2021.typographics.com/
- Adobe Max 2020 – https://www.adobe.com/max/2020/sessions.html
- Design Books and Resources – https://www.designcalendar.io/design-resources
For the little ones:
- The virtual heart of the city centre: Your guide to online events – https://heartofthecity.co.nz/article/our-virtual-city-centre
- Auckland Museum at Home – https://www.aucklandmuseum.com/your-museum/at-home/kids
- Free Colouring Pages – https://www.thepaperrainproject.co.nz/products/free-colouring-in-pages
- Eco-Friendly Activities for Kids at Home – https://livelightly.nz/eco-friendly-activities-for-kids-at-home
- Model Citizens @ home: lockdown creations – https://architecturenow.co.nz/articles/model-citizens-at-home-send-us-your-lockdown-creations/
- Project Make | Wallpaper Project: Part A – https://project-make.com/project-library/wallpaper-project-part-a/